Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the girls over at The Broke & The Bookish. This week’s topic is Top Ten: All About Romance Tropes/Types. Now let me tell you, I’ve got plenty of romance tropes that I’m obsessed with in both books and tv shows, so I’m making this week’s post a mix of those!
I’m literally not keeping it a secret that these two are my latest obsession when it comes to TV world. I mean, I’m dead ass obsessed with Stranger Things to begin with, but as soon as Nancy and Jonathan became a thing, the obsession level went up.
My favorite trope from this is obviously the fact that she’s popular, he’s the loner that secretly likes her from afar. Basically, it’s a more normal, healthier version of what was going on with Lily and James.
But bonus trope: That thing where they “have to sleep in the same bed to feel safe but really there’s no real reason for it”. Yeah, I die for that.
There are two parts to The Vampire Diaries part of this because I honestly shipped both Stefan and Elena and Damon and Elena at certain points of the show. Granted, I stopped watching around season 3 because I didn’t particularly like where it was going, but I loved what I had watched so far of both couples!
The thing I loved about Stefan and Elena was how it was such a cheesy high school romance between a vampire and a human, I couldn’t get over how adorable it was.
Now, part two is more of a trope that I like in lots of TV shows, as well as books. I really love the whole “we can’t be together but I want to be with you”, but you never really know exactly why they aren’t able to be together. I mean, I get that they couldn’t have gotten together at first because she and Stefan were together, and that makes sense, but after that, it was just plain brooding and angst and I love that.
Alright, come on now, did y’all not see this coming? I mean, I openly express at least daily how much I love love triangles. I don’t really like whenever they end, but I definitely do like the whole middle part of it whenever they are all angst ridden and full of stolen moments and romance.
I hadn’t really planned to put a part three of this show yet, but here we are. I’m convinced this show is just perfect for tropes, and I honestly wish that the actual books were just like the show but they’re just so different.
I would be so happy if I had just a series about Klaus and Caroline though, I don’t know if my shipper heart could even handle it.
- The Score: Total jock stereotype, like definitely a player and total douche bag, actually changes and falls in love with a sassy, sort of nerdy person. It’s adorable. I love it. That’s all.
- RoseBlood: Stereotypical quiet girl who doesn’t really fit in with anyone falls in love with loner boy. I mean, loner boy is a total loner, as in hides in walls and stuff, in this case, but it still works.
- Clockwork Prince: There’s a love triangle. That’s all.
- A Court of Mist and Fury: Hate to love, I love it. There it is.
- The Unexpected Everything: The girl totally didn’t want to fall in love, and in fact tried to force herself to not fall in love, and, spoiler alert: she does. It’s cute shit.
I hope everyone has a fantabulous day/evening/morning/whenever you’re reading this and happy reading!